Solar Panel Cleaning
For faster reading, please select one of the topics below:
If they look dirty…they are dirty.
However, for a variety of reasons solar panels can "look" clean, and still be dirty enough to reduce efficiency. Looking clean doesn't necessarily mean they are clean.
Airborne dirt comes from a variety of sources like bird droppings, dust, leaves, etc.. This is compounded by the fact that solar panels are usually mounted in a near-horizontal position.
Why should I keep my solar panels clean?
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory and other sources estimate that solar array efficiency can be reduced by 20%, or more, if the panels are allowed to get dirty.
In some cases, the panels can even be permanently damaged by dirt and debris.
In order to get all the energy you paid for from your photovoltaic system, the panels must be kept clean.
How often should my solar panels be cleaned?
If your solar array is well away from trees, the ocean, and any other contaminant source, cleaning can be done every 2 to 4 months.
If the solar system is near any significant source of contaminants, monthly cleaning may be required.
Can I clean my solar panels myself?
Yes you can. Here is a partial list of what you will need to attempt your own solar system cleaning:
- Ladder that will reach the top of the highest panels.
- No fear of heights.
- Pressure washer (rent or buy).
- Soap or detergent approved for use on your solar panels.
- Safety glasses
- For roof-mounted systems - A safety harness securely anchored to the building to make sure you can't fall off (or through) the roof (OSHA considers a fall of 2 stories, or more, to be a "death fall").
- Valid medical insurance (in case you fall, get debris in your eyes, or cut yourself).
- An able-bodied assistant (never try to do your own roof cleaning without an assistant for safety).
However, if you want to save time, money, and possible serious personal injury, please call us toll-free at (866) 946-2532. We will send our trained technicians to take care of all your solar panel cleaning needs.
How to Choose a Solar Panel Cleaning Service Provider?
- Get at least 3 solar panel cleaning quotes.
- Have each contractor quote both one-time and routine service. Never pay a contractor for an estimate.
- Carefully check their liability, worker’s compensation, and vehicle liability insurance coverage. Make sure they list you as “additionally insured” on their policies.
- Make them state, in the contract, that all members of their crew who will be on your property are employees of the contractor and the contractor will not use “day labor."
- Ask for solar panel cleaning references, and check them out carefully.
- As a general rule of thumb, if the difference between the highest and lowest bidders is more than 10-15%, be extra careful to confirm all 3 vendors are bidding exactly the same thing.
Over a Decade of Experience
America’s Best has been cleaning solar panels for residential and commercial clients since since 2001. Our “customer and safety first” approach has made us a nationally recognized and trusted name for nearly 3 decades and awarded us the Super Service Award in 2010 by Angie's List.
Our technicians are trained professionals with many years of experience in solar panel cleaning. We conduct background checks on each technician prior to their joining our team. Our team is knowledgeable, courteous, and drug-free.
We are insured, safe, and heavily focused on getting the job done right, every time. Our team uses commercial grade equipment and environmentally safe cleaning agents to deliver results without harming the planet.
What Sets Us Apart
We understand that you have made a big investment in your solar panels. We will clean your solar panels with the utmost care, using the right equipment and cleaning agents to prevent damage of any kind.